Saturday, January 12, 2013

Just Feedin' Some Sheep

Since the temperature got up to a balmy -6C, Len decided it was a good day to chop day into the sheep feeder. Sounded good to me because the feeder holds enough feed for about 3 weeks and I feed some bales in between in the barn feeders to keep me in shape!
First things first. Took the dogs for a long walk while Len brought the hay bales up to the feeder. Then we proceeded to chop. Pretty inventive guy I have, we use an old forage harvester than was picked up at an auction for $50, and he built a table to put the bales on to feed into it. There is a "do not cross line" on the table so no one gets sucked into the machine, plus I have a cut off switch that I stand beside while he feeds it in.
It works well, doesn't chop the hay super short so better for sheep digestion and there is alot less waste with feeding this way. Sometimes it hangs up it the feeder so have to check for that daily. Pictures are a bit dark since I took them with the Iphone.



 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment